Monday, January 26, 2015

Whole 30 Day 26

I finally managed to operate the Ketone meter. Had to do it several times as didn't get enough blood out and got error message (arghhh wasted like 3 strips). As i suspected I am not in ketosis. Measured 0.8




Here's my eating from yesterday. Doesn't seem like carbs are my problem since I am at 27g net carbs and under 50g total carbs. Looks like i am pretty much ok with protein and fat too. I suspect I am eating too many calories in total? So I need to reduce my fat (like Paleo mayonaise) and focus more on lean protein. 

I have been following a great Keto Dieters group on FB and they focus on The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708 as well as Lyle McDonalds The Ketogenic Diet. 
Very scientific and proof oriented approach. 

According to this group my macros for weight loss should be 40g protein for each one of 3 meals, total of 71g fat, up to 20g net carbs and 1199 calories (which is where MFP puts me 1200 cal). 

I realized that my 2 or even 3 eggs breakfast in tbs ghee with veggies and half avocado doesn't provide enough protein but does include way too much fat. so i am going to change that with using much much less fat for my eggs and adding meat or fish and probably removing the avocado. The eggs have enough fat.... 

I got carried away with all the LCHF movement and lack of specific info. The Diet doctor and Atkins say don't pay attention to how much you eat as long as it is protein, fat, veggies but it doesn't seem so. I spend some time reading Lyle McDonald's "The Ketogenic Diet" and realized that it does matter how much one eats. 
I also am getting better at not snacking and keeping just 3 meals a day. 

I need to drink more water. 
Be very careful with nuts, coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut flakes. 
Log everything at least for few weeks just so i know where I am. Especially if i want to get anywhere with my weight loss. 

I still don't understand how I am not in ketosis. I suspected it but now i know.   

1 comment:

  1. You poor thing. Sorry you are struggling so much to find the right balance. Please don't go below 1200 calories. That's the generally accepted lowest safe limit to keep metabolism from going into starvation mode.

    Hope you get this figured out and working properly for your body soon. :)

    ReplyDelete