Thursday, January 22, 2015

Whole 30 Day 22 - changing snacking mentality

Yesterday and Tuesday I focused on being conscious and stopping my habit of snacking.

Gwen from The Sunny Coconut suggested that I might be programmed to snack which really is true for me. Yesterday I have been reading a lot on this topic in Keto Diet FB group I am on. They were saying exactly the same. For weight loss they promote no snacking, 3 meals, spaced at least 4hours apart,  sufficient  protein and fat, not unlimited eat more fat if you want to snack. Snacking is a state of mind. 
On Tuesday I was determined and did not snack all day even though I did want to, not out of hunger. Yesterday, Wednesday, I had my breakfast around 11 am and knew I wouldn't be hungry for a while. I considered IFing till dinner. But around 3/4 pm I did not hold up. My head gave in. I reasoned I will have a handful of nuts and it will be my lunch. It seems now like bad reasoning. 
It is. It is part of old brain, old bad habit. I don't expect it to go away or change in a day. But I am working on it.
Dinner yesterday was beef sloppy joe with lettuce and Israeli salad. Did not snack at night. 
Today though, ate pistachios after breakfast. It is like I am rebelling, sensing that I am about to change. But I am determined. It feels better to just eat 3 meals a day. 
No more snacking today.



1 comment:

  1. It's just breaking a habit. When you were eating grains and other starches and sugar...you "needed" to snack because of the bio-chemistry changes causing the hunger and cravings...because sugar is processed so fast you get hungry quicker. It became a habit. Now, eating more fats and proteins you can go longer, physically, without food, but your mind is still playing those old songs in your head. If you are persistent and consistent, you will re-train yourself. Try and keep any snacks you do eat to 50-100 calories, and either protein or fat. It's a journey. :)

    ReplyDelete