Monday, January 5, 2015

Whole 30 Day 7

I am down 0.4 lb today. Trying to figure out how to start dropping pounds. 
I am very happy with my food choices (other than the fast food yesterday in SF mall).
I know I want and need to move more to get my metabolism going and appetite down. 
That's my top priority. 

Once I move and get daily 10k steps I will need to tweak my food. 
So far I am getting 8% carbs (25g) 58% fat 78g) and 34% (103g) protein. 
I need some more data to be more informed. So far I haven't been logging my food well. I get one day a week perhaps. 

My gut feeling is that I have too much fat and not enough protein. I would like to switch the balance a bit. I also suspect I might be needing more iron, vitamins a & c and calcium. According to MFP on the one day I did log last week, I am not getting enough sugars (ha ha)'which I don't think I will consider, sodium and over consuming cholesterol. 
It is really hard to tweak my food as I am not a disciplined person and do not log my food religiously. It is easy to log packaged food but home made recipes are more challenging. I need to enter them in the system first. 
Since I intend to live on a pretty steady food template I realize that I should just take the 5 minutes and enter the recipe in MFP on my laptop (easier than on mobile device). 
I am inspired by bloggers Karen (GardenGirl KP) and Gwen (The Sunny Coconut). They are my proof that it is possible. If,they can do it so can I. All I need is commitment. If I didn't do it yesterday I will do it today. 

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 Applegate chicken Apple sausages, 2 ends of zucchini left from yesterday's spiralizing, 1/2 cup,cherry tomatoes, 1tsp BBQ sauce made in 1tsp ghee. 

I have a feeling that ghee is really good for me. I just feel so good after my breakfast omelette made in ghee. No other oil feels like this. 

Since I am out of food and need to cook for the week I already defrosted chicken drumsticks. I pulled skin off and put them in the slow cooker in the morning with modified Nom Nom Paleo inspired spices. I lay them in slow cooker on peeled and cut 1/3 onion. Salt, pepper, coriander, paprika and ginger. 2 tbs BBQ sauce, 3 tbs coconut aminos poured over chicken and put for 4.5 hours on low. 

Will make baked cauliflower in evening. Cut a head of cauliflower, lay on baking sheet with few garlic cloves unpeeled, sprinkle some salt and extra virgin olive oil. Bake at 465 for 45 min. My kids love it. 

Need to make another batch of BBQ sauce as I almost finished the batch I made last week. 

I need to make something with green and purple cabbage I have in fridge. I made coleslaw last week. Don't feel like making it again. Perhaps I will make soup with green cabbage, zucchini, cauliflower and broccoli, chicken broth and tomato paste. That's my Russian inspired soup minus potatoes...:-) if I could find Jerusalem Artichokes at my produce store I would throw them in....

All right to work I go. Cook for the week. Enjoy the peace and quiet at home with everybody back at work and school. 


1 comment:

  1. Aww thanks for the shout out/link!

    I am an OCD Virgo....and knowing that, and how easily I can obsess, I purposely choose not to do the macros thing, and not to journal what I eat, or super analyze it. Karen is pretty much on the opposite spectrum, and that works for her. :)

    My fats are not as high as my protein though. Part of that is just the way I prefer to eat, and part of me is still a little leery of the new data re the benefits of high fat. I get most of my fat from the meats I eat, the cheese I eat, the nuts I eat. I use coconut oil generally just once a week for my hashed browns. I don't add butter to my coffee, and most of my veggies are consumed raw, or steamed with little or no butter. Avocados are a rare treat due to their cost and poor shelf life. But that's just me, and by no means do I have a perfect diet.

    Have fun learning what works for you, what doesn't! We are each unique, for sure!

    ReplyDelete