Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 17 Thoughts about foodification

I started my journey to healthy eating through Medifast. It's funny, my eating transformed just like I quit smoking 15 years ago. I did not intend to do it. It just happened. I started Medifast just to support my husband. He ended up not doing it. I did it. Initially I just wanted to lose the weight and then eat whatever I want in moderation. After few months on Medifast I discovered the online community and throught the wonderful people there got into a mindset of health. I got Dr. A's book Habits of Health and intended to keep his recommended lifestyle. 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, 1/4 plate carbs/starch, preferably whole grain, 1/4 plate protein, 1/2 plate veggies. Medifast meals or other meal replacement brands for snack on the go, fruit paired with protein. 

When I was already at healthy weight I read Wheat Belly, through one of the recommendations on MF board. I was shocked! I read a little bit more about it. Gary Taubes, Grain Brain then I heard about Paleo. I decided I really like living without grains. It was hard for me to eat in moderation. Even brown rice, whole wheat pasta or whole wheat bread and oatmeal. I always wanted to eat more then the measured portion on my plate. Which meant for me, always having to rely on discipline and will. It works sometimes but not 100%. 
So I decided, since I don't miss grains at all, they aren't good for me and it makes life so much easier to just eliminate them from my life. I am not attached to them and already went through withdrawal so why bother with them? I went through several phases. Breakfast was the most interesting to figure out as lunch and dinner are easygoing to eat protein and veggies breakfast still was in my head a meal that needed grains like oatmeal, muffins, pancakes, waffles.
There are so many recipes out there. 
I made many of them. They tasted great. But I could not control my portions. Gradually the weight crept up. Then there where sweets at public events. I allowed myself to have just the cream from the tiramisu. Cravings. Appetite. Self judgement. Bad mood. Clothes starting to be tight. That doesn't feel good. But now I will never go back to MF. So I don't know how to lose weight without the MF system. I need something new. 

I will continue this thread tomorrow.

In the meanwhile my day was good. I had my omelette with shredded zucchini and half avocado. For lunch I had my sloppy joe with cucumber. I also hadn 2 squares of 100% chocolate. And then nuts. 
Drank afternoon decaf coffee with 1tbs of coconut milk. 
For dinner I had 3 Applegate Chicken Apple patties with roasted tomatoes, eggplant and cauliflower. 

The scale is around the same numbers. But I feel my body shrinking. I was wearing my Style & Co size 4 tight leg jeans and they were comfortable not tight. I am sure I am not gaining muscle as I am not exercising. Very interesting.....

1 comment:

  1. Rina, at your weight, good eating will probably show more in inches vs. pounds. You might start measuring waist, abdomen, hips, chest, thigh (find a spot on your thigh, x number of inches up from your knee, so you stay consistent)....and track that. If your clothes are feeling more comfortable, it's a sure sign the inches are dropping off even if the weight isn't. I know that's weird that it can be one not the other, but it can. :)

    As a whole, I don't eat near as much food as you do, but I'm never hungry. I enjoy 1 ounce of nuts, 1 ounce of cheese, and 1 hard boiled egg for breakfast five days a week. Saturday is 2 eggs scrambled with the best veggies chopped on hand mixed in, with a small amount of cheese. Sunday is a hamburger patty, egg over medium, and a veggie hash. It works for me. I never get hungry before lunch, and can IF through lunch on some days with no issue. The more fats and protein at a meal, the less hungry one is because of the even keel burn, and lack of glucose spikes. :)

    You are doing great, and thanks for sharing your history!

    ReplyDelete