Saturday, January 17, 2015

Whole 30 Day 18

I am catching up. Today's post is about today.

I posted my two years transformation story regarding food and nutrition. Few months ago I realized that all the wonderful Paleo recipes are healthier than the flour ones but they are all still problematic. At least for me. They might be working for all these wonderful bloggers like Elana's Pantry, Practical Paleo, The Paleo Mom, The Paleo Parents and so on but for me, a stay-at-home mom, with little time and a family that doesn't want to give up grains and hates the smell of coconut oil, who doesn't exercise and prefer simple and fast food with as little cleaning as possible cooking like this doesn't work. 
I realized that seeing all these recipes in my inbox and FB feed just kept me in an unhealthy food centric mode.
I unsubscribed from ALL the blogs and FB feeds. I cook the same things anyway and enjoy them. I have a good variety and have no complaints. When I want something new I go to these blogs and search for recipes. It,works much better for me. 

Now I really want to figure out how to drop the 15-17 lbs I gained during all the foodification I went through, perhaps even keep on to dropping 3-5lbs more and get into the 120s like my new friend Gwen. 
I think the key for me would be to get busy. I need to change my focus from food to life. 
I think I got the grip with food. I can and will live like this. No tiramisu is more important than sticking to my healthy weight and not having cravings. I am actually pretty happy with my 100% chocolate. I do not need or want any sweets. I am not feeling deprived. 
I learned that I love many healthy foods, like almond butter for example, but I do not feel satisfied after eating just one or two tbs. I don't know how many I need to feel full but why bother? I would rather chew the almonds. For me, almond butter is foodification. Why is it a Paleo food? Wouldn't our ancestors just eat almonds? It is also cheaper. Why work and make the butter? It's only needed for my kids who have braces or people who cannot chew/bite. 
So I am not going there any more. 

I came across this article/video today, a talk by Michael Pollan, and really got thinking about how important it is to make food myself. It is something I know but just now it is a bit more clear.


As,to my eating today, it has been again omelette for breakfast. For lunch I was at a Bat Mizvah and took just a tbs of tuna salad, few slices of cucumber, few capers, blueberries and a strawberry. I came home a little hungry but not terribly and finished my sloppy joe. 

I have this new habit, it seems like after I finish my lunch I am not satisfied. I am not even sure if it is psychological or physical. I just want something more. Have been eating a square or two of 100% chocolate but I am not sure it's a good habit. I need to figure it out. Where does this emptiness come from?

It is evening, I had a hard boiled egg and Applegate chicken sausage. I still want something to eat but not sure if I am hungry. Am fixing myself chai will add coconut milk to it. 
I would like to reduce my calories hoping it will help me lose weight but am not sure. Need to start using the glucose and Keto meter I got. Hope it will give me a better clue about my body chemistry.

1 comment:

  1. If you are used to having an afternoon snack, that's what's causing the cravings. It's simply a Pavlov type of habit that needs conscious work to break. I know I have it on workdays. That afternoon craving for something sweet. I take 3-6 red grapes to work for it, but I try to go as long as possible without caving. If I can get past 3:30, the craving disappears. I never have it on weekends. So it's work stress related, and related to the fact I always used to have a little milk chocolate after lunch-3:00 pm in 'my prior life.' Like Pavlov's dog, waiting for the bell to ring. ;)

    ReplyDelete