Friday, January 23, 2015

Whole 30 Day 23 slight slip but generally getting better

Yesterday was day 23. Time really flies! This is totally doable as a way of life. I still haven't decided if I will still eat dairy after I finish The Whole 30. Should i go back to my Fage 2% or full fat with 1oz nuts for breakfast? Should I do it twice a week or only once? I am not tired of eggs for breakfast but it might get boring after a while. 
I think it is ok for me. I will give it a try in a week and see how i feel. I think that once a week will not be problematic for me. 

As I mentioned yesterday, i slipped with pistachios after my breakfast. I was listening to a book on tape and just let myself have a handful of pistachios that somehow grew into two handfuls and then few more. 
I know that it was wrong. They looked at me from the shelf. I should have just closed the door. I shouldn't have looked on that shelf to begin with. I should have just left the kitchen. Looking back it seems like self sabotage. I would have been better off going out for a walk. 
Which is another thing i really want to focus on. Daily walks. I am completely sedentary. I really need to move. It is not good for my health in any way. I am not aiming currently at running again or even getting back to T-Tapp or Callanetics or even dance workout. My excuse for quitting every workout I start is getting bored. It becomes monotone. I went on a walk with a friend on Tuesday but didn't really do much the rest of the week. 
I have to MOVE!!!!!! My body wants it. The whole "I am bored" is self sabotage and I have to just stop doing it. 

After I slipped with pistachios I had my beef sloppy joe for lunch with 2 squares of dark chocolate. I learned from Karen (GardenGirlKP blog) to incorporate 'treats' like berries and chocolate in my meal, I will do so with nuts too. I believe it will help eliminate my snacking mentality. If the food is part of the meal i do not need to snack between meals. 

I had my afternoon decaf coffee without coconut milk and was fine. 
By dinner time, around 7 I was ready to eat but not famishing. I had a hardboiled egg, with persian cucumber and yellow bell pepper, 4 Applegate Apple chicken sausages. I was still a little hungry (well, i am not sure if it was hunger or wanting some more food) so I had 1oz of beef jerky (I like Sophia's Survival Food) and called it a night with a cup of herbal tea. 

I am really inspired by Gwen from The Sunny Coconut. She is so committed. Thanks Gwen for commenting on my blog. Please feel free to be direct with me. No need to apologize. I want to hear the truth. 

Yes I realize that new habits take time to establish. I am committed and am in the mindset of changing. I think that i always had this pattern of realizing a damaging habit, wanting to change it, making the change few times or just once and then slipping. I have learned that it is normal. A couple years ago I read this book The Power of Habit http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/ and the author does say that people always slip. It is a game of few steps forward few steps back. You want more steps forward than back and with time the backward steps become less and less. 

I have never been good at setting goals and sticking to them. I actually do much worse when I set goals. But what works for me is just having a mindset. I also like to be different. So if i see others doing the same thing I want to stop doing it motivates me to stop doing it..... ;-) I like to be different. 

So here it is. Everybody snacks. I don't want to do it. ;-) 

1 comment:

  1. Great insights today, Rina.

    (and thank you.)

    It is a process. Having a degree in (early) childhood education, I can confirm that learning IS a two steps forward, one step back process. Another analogy that was given was a swinging pendulum, that eventually settles down in the middle, but in the beginning can swing rather wildly back and forth. :)

    So you are normal, and human, and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete