Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Thoughts on holidays eating, food junkies and such

I have been thinking about food in the past couple day. I attended 2 parties on Sunday and realized that while I do fine during the week, when I eat home made food, plan and prepare my meals weekends and holidays bring out the temptations. I can even handle restaurants since I have full control over what I order, the only challenging restaurants for me are Mexican, I find protein but they have no veggies other than salsa to offer me. 
Social events, usually at people's houses are my challenge at the moment. I do not understand why I want food when I am not really hungry. Just the fact that the table is full of food doesn't mean I need or want to eat anything from it. Why can't I just sip water and talk with people? No one was pressuring me. I am still baffled by myself. 
Reading the book Food Junkies and realize I have some degree of food addiction going on there. As i weaned myself off grains and am now doing so well with a very limited and controlled amount of nuts (1oz almonds and up to 20 pistachios 2-3 times a week), up to 2 squares of dark 85% chocolate just protein and veggies nutrition I am starting to realize that I have trigger foods and need to stay away from them. 
I already know that obstaining from grains worked really well for me. I am not longing for them and I do not miss them. I do not feel deprived, on the contrary, I feel free, liberated and better off. I don't remember when it happened exactly. I know that for at least 6 months I kept thinking that once I drop the weight I will go back to eating limited quantities but as I dropped the weight and learned about Paleo I didn't want to even get near grains. I remember going into Starbucks with the intention of buying something, because I deserve it (great addict logic), looking at the options and not being tempted by ANYTHING! It was like a miracle. That is true freedom for me. 

So I am still pondering on the topic. Wondering how I can stop wanting certain foods (desserts) and how can I stop wanting to eat just because food is presented. 
I hope that Food Junkies will help me with something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment