Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Refuse to Regain #1

Started reading Barbara Berkeley's book Refuse to Regain. Getting confirmation that "the skills required to maintain weight differ markedly from those required to lose it and Maintenance Juniors do not yet have these skills. While Juniors are powerfully convinced that they will never return to old ways, they almost always do."

Now I realize that I had all these symptoms during the past 2 years. I did feel over confident, tried to do it alone, had a weak plan and relied on moderation.

Thinking back I now realize that I did indulge in desserts. Tiramisu here and there. Coconut ice cream. Almond/coconut flour baked goods, even coconut butter frozen items. I thought I was in control. I thought I would compensate the next day. I thought I understood. I thought I deserved it. 

Then there were the temptations. I had to make healthy treats to try and get my kids on board. I wanted to give them healthy snacks so they wouldn't crave junk all the time, so they would refuse all the unhealthy options thrown at them all the time, so I could offer my husband a healthy option. Bottom line,these are trigger foods. It kept my husband and kids in sugar mentality. It got me to consume things I didn't need and kept me hooked on sugar. I thought that by switching to Paleo and abstaining from grains I'd be safe. But even healthy ingredients trigger foods are still that. Being excited about trying these recipes, then trying not to eat too much of them but since they are sweet they still had a grip on me. 

I still don't have a plan. I don't have clarity about how will I deal with these trigger foods in the future. I am still learning. But at least now I know what I need to learn. I know that what I did in the past didn't work. 


I stopped following the Paleo figures, blogs and FB as I didn't want to see their sweet recipes in front of me. I even didn't want to keep seeing the plain food recipes in my inbox every week or twice a week. I am a simple person, I don't need a lot of variety. I like eating steady foods, yes I like to have fish, chicken and beef but do I need 20 or more different recipes? No I don't. I am not such a big foodie. I am good eating the same thing 2-3 days in a row. I'd rather work less :-) sure I like to learn make new dishes once in a while but I don't need to see these recipes in front of me every week. 

Took me a while to balance this concept and unsubscribe from all the newsletters, blogs and FB pages I was subscribed to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment